Thursday, April 10, 2014

self- help/ jobs for introverts/ dental office



Mar. 22 Self-help: Today was good because I talked to my friend Jessica on the phone for 24 min.  Then I talked to my friend Sonia for 51 min.  Sonia told me to check out some self-help books.  First I checked my email account, because people used to send me a lot articles through my blog.

I wrote about this before, Lynda Albertson sent me “30 blogs with the Best Self-help advice.”  I already read and wrote about boosting self-confidence, professional success, dealing with stress, and controlling your temper on my blog.

http://www.nannybabysitter.com/blog/30-blogs-with-the-best-self-help-advice/

Counseling: I haven’t seen my Counselor in over a year.  I need this boost by talking to my friends. 

Newspaper: I went through my newspaper articles that I kept in an enveloped titled “Self-help” but there were a lot of articles about happiness.  

The Power of Now: Sonia was checking on the internet and here’s a self-help book she’s interested in.  On Amazon:

It's no wonder that The Power of Now has sold over 2 million copies worldwide and has been translated into over 30 foreign languages. Much more than simple principles and platitudes, the book takes readers on an inspiring spiritual journey to find their true and deepest self and reach the ultimate in personal growth and spirituality: the discovery of truth and light. In the first chapter, Tolle introduces readers to enlightenment and its natural enemy, the mind. He awakens readers to their role as a creator of pain and shows them how to have a pain-free identity by living fully in the present. The journey is thrilling, and along the way, the author shows how to connect to the indestructible essence of our Being, "the eternal, ever-present One Life beyond the myriad forms of life that are subject to birth and death." Featuring a new preface by the author, this paperback shows that only after regaining awareness of Being, liberated from Mind and intensely in the Now, is there Enlightenment.

My opinion: It seems kind of a spiritual book.  I’m looking for more of a left-brain book.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Power-Now-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/1577314808

Mar. 23 Productive reading: Sonia told me that since I read so much, it should be productive.

Me: I read a lot of the business section of the newspaper.  I know about how to get job interviews and what to say in the interview.  I learn a lot about businesses.

Here’s a hypothetical situation:

Friend: Tracy, I’ve been applying to all these retail positions so I can work on the weekends, but I haven’t gotten any callbacks.
Tracy: Let me see where you applied to.  You applied to Sears and Best Buy?  Don’t you read the business section of the newspaper?  Those companies are struggling.  They are unlikely to hire.  

Mar. 25 Sales: I’m always trying to play to my strengths and avoid things that I’m not good at.  For example, jobs like “100% commission.”  When I got a phone call for a furniture sales associate position, and they told me that it was 100% commission, I didn’t take it.  There was that time in 2012 I tried selling newspaper subscriptions door-to-door.  I did one shift and I didn’t continue.  

I had signed a contract where I would have to work 40 hrs to get paid by all the subscriptions I sold.  If I quit anytime before the 40 hrs was up, I wasn’t going to get paid at all.  I worked one shift of 4hrs and I sold 3 subscriptions. 

Jobs for introverts: I found this article:

“To succeed in the working world, successful introverts find jobs that play to their strengths while avoiding an overload of interactions each day. To help with that effort, we've identified the following 10 jobs from our Jobs Rated report that are best suited to shy job seekers. If that's you, consider whether these jobs match your skills and abilities.”


Animal care and service worker: I’m not interested in working with animals.  I only had fish as pets because that’s the only pets my parents would allow in the house.  You don’t have to clean up after them, walk them, take them to the vet, etc.

Archivist
Astronomer
Court reporter
Film/ video editor
Financial clerk
Geoscientist
Industrial machine repairer
Medical records technician
Social media manager

http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/best-jobs-introverts

Film editor: Of course, I had to look at the film editor job.  I found this article: 

“Movie editors have to know the art, the business and the technology of filmmaking. One way to get the knowledge you’ll need is to attend a two- or four-year college that offers programs focused on the filmmaking industry. There you’ll find classes in other aspects of the business, such as directing, cinematography and movie production, as well as film editing.


To start, you'll need to build a video resume of your work. You'll also need contacts ­you've made to get a first job. That first job may have nothing to do with editing. You may find yourself a production assistant, an animation-editing assistant or an assistant to an editor.”


http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/film-editor3.htm

Mar. 28 Job interview: I applied to this job ad, and then they emailed me back with this questionnaire.  They asked if I was going to go back to school, available to work in downtown, what hours I’m available.  I filled it out and emailed it back.  They then called me for an interview.  

I researched the company and took notes.  I arrived on time.  It was like an insurance company.  She told me a lot about the company and how the company and industry works.  It’s a very detail-oriented job.  At the end, she said they would be looking for another person for another position that I would be more of a fit.  She would keep my resume.

Mar. 31 Dental office: I did a job interview at a dental office last week.  It was average.  He did tell me that I should look into dental programs at NAIT.  I told him I knew there was a dental assistant program at the school.  He told me there was a lot of dental terminology. 

I looked up the Dental Assisting Technology at NAIT.  This is about being a dental assistant: 

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_76585.htm

Dental Technology is about making crowns: 

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_76557.htm

There is Denturist Technology: 

http://www.nait.ca/66684.htm

There is $10 teeth cleaning at the NAIT’s dental lab: 

http://www.nait.ca/44779_91377.htm

No comments: