Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mealshare/ Meriam Ibrahim/ my birthday



Jul. 18 Mealshare: I wrote about this before.  In the Metro on Jul. 17, 2014 “Mealshare program expanding to six more restaurants.”  “When customers buy a dish with a special logo with a dish at participating restaurants, a meal will in return be donated to those in need.  To date, 65,00, meals have been handed out in 4 cities, with no extra costs to customers.”

The other restaurants are Culina Mill Creek, North 53, Block 1912, Ross Pizzeria, Dauphine Bakery and Knosh Food Truck.

Aug. 1 Bad sex ed: I was reading the Edmonton Journal on Jul. 12, 2014 “Christian centre dumped from sex ed.”  Here’s an excerpt:

“A Christian-based counselling service for pregnant women will no longer be allowed to help teach sexual education classes this fall, the superintendent of Edmonton Public Schools ordered Friday.”

“In addition, she said the speaker made scientifically inaccurate claims, including that 60 per cent of boys carry the HPV sexually transmitted infection under their fingernails, and gonorrhea can kill in three days. The pregnancy centre has denied the Dawsons' account.”


My opinion: That is so bad.  That reminds me of the MADtv sketch about the 1970s sex ed tape where they give all this misinformation about sex.  Avril Lavigne guest- starred.  I wrote about it before.  I forewarn you this is offensive:

Dad: Don’t you know that birth control is the woman’s responsibility?
Half the audience laughs and the other half says “Ohhhhh.”
I laughed and said “Ohhh.” 

MADtv is here to entertain and they did.  Pregnancy Care Centre is to educate and they didn’t.  Here’s the MADtv sketch:


Meriam Ibrahim: In the Metro on Jul. 25, 2014 “Pope blesses woman who refused to deny her faith.”

“Pope Francis met with a Sudanese woman who refused to recanted her Christian faith in the face of a death sentence, blessing the woman as she cradled her infant daughter born just weeks ago in prison.”

The sentence was condemned in the US and Amnesty International among others.  I did sign a Amnesty International petition about it.

Thailand rape: In the Metro on Jul. 25, 2014 “Railway relaunches women-only cars after rape, killing of a 13- year-old girl.”

“The State Railway of Thailand said in a statement that the special carriages will start operating on trains traveling to the north, the northeast and the south on Aug. 1.”

Politics:

Tories: In the Metro on Jul. 29, 2014 “Tories renege on government salary freeze”:

“But the Oppostion Wildrose party on Monday revealed documents showing that cabinet quietly approved the senior manager pay increases last week.”

Mike Duffy: In the Metro on Jul. 22, 2014 “RCMP: Mike Duffy used tax dollars for personal travel.”  It says he misspent more than $200,000 on housing and traveling.

My opinion: I can see Alison Redford say: “It’s not just me.”

Pet owners: In the Metro on Jul. 25, 2014 “For rent: Pet owners need not apply.” 

President of Edmonton Apartment Association Bill Begley says it’s not about landlords not wanting pets; it’s about bad pet owners.  There are stories where they lock pets in rooms or the balcony for the whole day.

Gay blood: In the Metro on Jul. 22, 2014 “Drawing attention to ban on drawing gay blood.”  Sean MacIssac draws a chalk drawing on the sidewalk about how the Canadian Blood Services regulations for gay male donors.  Gay men have to abstain from sex for 5 years to be able to donate blood.  There is a protest that gay men should be allowed to donate blood because there are so many people who do need blood.

Gynecologist suicide: In the Metro on Jul. 12, 2014 “Gynecologist filmed pelvic exams, Johns Hopkins to pay out $190M.”  Dr. Nikita Levy was fired in Feb. 2013 after a co-worker told hospital authorities thought there was a camera.  He committed suicide 10 days later.  There were 1, 200 videos and 140 images stored on his computers at home. 

The 8,000 women will be paid out by the hospital.

Pilot suicide: In the Metro on Jul. 31, 2014 “East Africa. British Airways sued over allegations pilot sexually abused girls.”  54 yr old British Airways pilot Simon Wood committed suicide last year.  He had flew impoverished girls from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.  He took them to the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Nairobi where he sometimes bathed them.

My opinion: I want to add about Dateline: To Catch a Predator.  There was one predator that didn’t come to the house, but he did chat with the online decoy.  Police and Dateline camera crew came to his house.  He committed suicide at the house.  A family member of the alleged predator said that if the camera crew wasn’t there, he wouldn’t have committed suicide.

The above news kind of proves that even if there wasn’t a camera crew, it was still going to happen anyway.

Honour killing ads: In the Metro on Jul. 8, 2014 “Edmonton Transit hit with lawsuit after ‘honour killing’ ads removed.”

“The Calgary-based Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms’ (JCCF) website, the organization will be representing a non-profit human advocacy group after their ads were removed from city buses.

“One of the ads in the series which was paid for by the American Freedom Defense Initiative, featured the headline ‘Muslim Girls Honor killed By Their Families,’ with photos of 7 women who were murdered because they chose to live by the Western values.

The ad says: “Is your family threatening you?  Is there a fatwa on your head?  We can help: go to FightforFreedom.us.”

The complaints were about it “negatively singling our one particular religious group.”

My opinion: I was like: “But this ad is helping people.”  It’s not trying to offend anyone, but it is directed at a religious group.  Is anyone offended by the Abortion Counseling services ads?  You can say: “It’s offensive because it’s directed at women.”  However, abortion counseling is to help people.

I would understand people complaining about ads that are too sexual and it’s being used to sell beer.  I have read lots of news articles about ads being taken down because it’s too sexual to sell something.  I have never really read an article about complaints about ads helping people.

Boko Haram: In the Metro on Jul. 8, 2014 “More than 60 escape Boko Haram’s grip.”
“Girls and women kidnapped two weeks ago now free, but 200 taken in April still unaccounted for.”

Stabbing: In the Metro on Jul. 15. 2014 “West Edmonton.  Office altercation ends with two men in hospital.”  There was a weapons complaint at an office on 155 street and Stony Plain road.  A man entered an office to complain.  Hours later he came back with a weapon.  It happened on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12pm.

My opinion: I was taking the bus and it was rerouted and passed by it at around noon.  I saw lots of police and an ambulance.

Aug. 10 Day off: I had requested that I get Aug. 11 off because it’s my birthday.  Last year, I got my birthday off and went shopping at West Ed mall all day and went out to dinner with my family. 

However, I have a job interview on Aug. 12, so I switched my shift with another co-worker so I work on Aug. 11 and have Aug. 12 off.

I can still schedule to have another day off to myself and have fun all day.

Aug. 11 My birthday: Today is my birthday.  I woke up and was reading the newspaper, and my brother wished me a happy birthday.

Work: I went to work and 6 of my co-workers wished me a happy birthday.  It’s because last week one of them asked me when my birthday was and I told her.

I took a break, and my co-workers bought me a burger and fries, and a cheesecake slice from the restaurant.  I ate the burger.  I brought home the fries and cake.

Job search: Today I took a break from the job search by not looking for a job.  I didn’t read the business section of the newspaper.  I only called one place back to confirm an interview.  One place called me to set up an interview.

Facebook: My friends Cham, Jenna, Judith, Leslie, and Leah wished me a happy birthday.  Also Facebook emailed me it with a picture of balloons.

Cake: I went to Dairy Queen to get an ice cream cake.  It has a blue treble clef in the center with little black notes around it. 

No comments: