Sunday, September 21, 2014

I think this is really scary



This horror isn't fiction

Dear Tracy,

You probably know me as the "horror" writer. While I may dispute that label, I think we can both agree that few things are as horrific as torture.

The hard pill to swallow is that torture is not fiction - it's happening right now as you read this. And we can't let it continue.

We must stop all torture by governments around the world - including our own. The United States must lead by example if we are to clear our tattered reputation in the court of world opinion.

That's why I'm joining Amnesty International. I want to help put pressure on the U.S. government and other governments like those of China and Iraq to investigate and stop acts of torture. Will you join me?

Be part of Amnesty's September Membership Drive.

Make your first donation to Amnesty today.

Your donation will be matched dollar for dollar through September 30 up to $300,000.

As a writer, I know the power of stories. I want to share one with you.

Chen Zhenping, a practitioner of the spiritual discipline Falun Gong, was detained by Chinese authorities without a warrant in 2008. Denied legal representation, she was sentenced to prison on trumped up charges of "subverting the law." She is now serving an eight-year sentence in the Henan Provincial Women's prison.

Amnesty has learned that she has been subjected to regular beatings, been forcibly injected with drugs and given electric shocks.

Her family's repeated requests to visit have been denied.

It's a terrifying chapter in this woman's life. But you and I - with the powerful backing of Amnesty International - can stop it.

Amnesty has the grassroots power, know-how and track record to help free people imprisoned for their beliefs. They are also global leaders in calling attention to acts of torture and holding governments accountable for horrific deeds.

You are getting this email because you have raised your hand to say, "I'm a human rights champion." Will you join me in supporting this important work? Together, we can make torture fiction.

Thank you in advance for your partnership.
Stephen KingSincerely,
Stephen King
Author & Human Rights Defender





P.S. Be part of Amnesty's Annual Membership Drive and your donation will be matched dollar for dollar.

No comments: