Sunday, November 9, 2014

Ebola/ homeless youth/ My Friend’s Place



Oct. 15 Ebola: I found this Ebola story on Yahoo way back on Jul. 31, 2014.  I thought Ebola was going to stay in West Africa, but now it’s spreading to the US and Canada.  Thousands of people have died already.  This story is called “Ebola-infected doctor’s extraordinary sacrifice”:

Even from his own sickbed in Africa, American physician Kent Brantly continues putting the well-being of others before his own.

Brantly, a medical missionary in West Africa, and fellow American Nancy Writebol both contracted Ebola last weekend. They spent the past several days under quarantine and are struggling to survive.

On Wednesday, an experimental serum arrived in Monrovia, Liberia, but there was only enough dosage for one patient.

“Dr. Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol,” said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan’s Purse, the Christian humanitarian organization Brantly is working for.

The gesture fits the description of selflessness and sacrifice the 33-year-old’s family back in the U.S. has given.

“Kent prepared himself to be a lifetime medical missionary,” his mother, Jan Brantly, told The Associated Press on Monday. “His heart is in Africa.”

After the merciful move for Writebol, a local family made its own offering to Brantly.

“Dr. Brantly received a unit of blood from a 14-year-old boy who had survived Ebola because of Dr. Brantly’s care,” Graham said in a written statement. “The young boy and his family wanted to be able to help the doctor that saved his life.”


My opinion: When I read it, I thought it was a really nice story of how Kent Brantly sacrificed his own health for someone else.  However, I want to say that it was an experimental serum so by all means the patient who takes it could improve, get worse, or have no difference at all in their health.

It was still nice to give the serum to someone.  Also Brantly did get something in return like a unit of blood from a 14 yr old boy who survived Ebola because of Brantly.

Nov. 2 Dumb criminals: I found this on Yahoo last month:

“A CCTV camera has captured the terrifying moment a 52-year-old women fought off a man who tried to steal her car. Deborah Smythe was parking her car outside her office on Manchester Friday morning when a guy jumped into her vehicle and tried to take off.”

It turns out Smythe put a big fight because her passport was in there and she was going to go on holiday that day.  If the passport wasn’t there, then she may not have fought as hard.

Here are some comments:

richard :dont leave your keys in the ignition

probablygraham: A very brave woman. But risking getting run over for a passport?

Emil @ CliqueOut: #$%$. i would of gotten in the car and run him down. #$%$, stealing from an old folk, a 52 year old woman. poor woman.

My opinion: Well good for her that she still got her passport and car.


Rape on TV: I found this article in the newspaper, but it’s on the internet too: 

"Cartoon draws fire for rape punch line" by David Bauder Sept. 25, 2014: It's about Family Guy/ Simpsons crossover where Stewie makes a prank call to Moe's Tavern: "Your sister's being raped."

Katherine Hull Fliflet, spokes person for the Washington-based Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network said she didn't find the line offensive: "I think the show is making it clear that rape is not funny by how they are positioning the joke.  It's my hope that would be the viewer's takeaway."

My opinion: I saw the crossover and I thought the episode was average.  The two shows sense of humor don’t totally mesh well because though both families are similar, Family Guy jokes are more offensive.

Smoking and breastfeeding: I found this on Yahoo:

Negative press is nothing strange for reality star Jenelle Evans — one of four drama-prone young women whose lives are documented, for better or worse, on the MTV series “Teen Mom 2.” But this time, Evans, 22, has managed to rile up the neonatal health crowd, with Twitter evidence that she’s been smoking cigarettes — despite still breastfeeding the younger of her two kids, 2-month-old Kaiser.


My opinion: Smoking while you’re breastfeeding is not healthy for the baby.  At least that’s my opinion.

Robin Williams: I know this was awhile ago, but I want to talk about the actor Robin Williams suicide.  When I found out he died, I was sad.  I was like: “Why did you commit suicide?  Is it because your TV show The Crazy Ones got cancelled?”

There were a lot of problems and issues here.  It did have a lot of people talking about suicide, depression, and mental health for awhile and to get help.


Homeless youth/ My Friend’s Place: I was watching the MTV Music Video Awards and this is my favorite part.  It’s where Miley Cyrus got a homeless man Jesse to accept the award for her.  There was a bit with Robin Williams and a moment of silence for a young black man Michael Brown who was shot by a police officer.  Those parts were good, but this part stood out to me the most.  Here’s an excerpt of the Yahoo article: 

Miley didn't even give a speech, instead sitting on the edge of the stage in tears (real tears, not "Wrecking Ball"-video crocodile tears) as a young blond man, who simply introduced himself as "Jesse," accepted the award from presenter Jimmy Fallon.

"Thank you all — my name is Jesse, and I am accepting this award on behalf of the 1.6 million homeless youth in the United States who are starving, lost, and scared for their lives right now," said the visibly trembling boy, shuffling index cards while Fallon held the microphone for him. "I know this because I am one of these people… Though I may have been invisible to you in the streets, I have the same dreams that have brought you here tonight.

"Los Angeles, entertainment capital, has the largest population of homeless youth in America. The music industry will make over $7 billion this year, and outside these doors are 54,000 human beings that have no place to call home." 

Jesse then asked viewers to go to Miley's Facebook page to find out how they could donate to My Friend's Place, a homeless center in Hollywood that "provides homeless youth with opportunities to improve their psychological, intellectual, and physical capacity to reach their potential and build self-sufficient lives." Shortly after the awards ended, Miley announced a contest via Prizeo in which fans who donate $5 to My Friend's Place will be entered for a chance to meet the pop star at her concert in Brazil.


Donate to My Friend’s Place:


Nov. 9 Jian Gomeshi: I’m sure all of you heard about this CBC host having sexual assault and violence allegations against him.  At first when I read his Facebook post in the Metro about one having consensual “rough sex” with his ex-girlfriend.  Then it got to 9 women and a man coming forward that he assaulted them, then I was like “Oh my God.  This is so bad.”

I know a little about Gomeshi before this.  I saw him host the Scotiabank Giller Prize to give a book award back in 2012.  That’s it.  Now it’s all over the newspaper like Globe and Mail in the Life and Focus section where they did pieces on sexual assault.  It’s good to get people to discuss this hard and emotional subject.  Oprah used to do these kind of episodes when she had her talk show.

No comments: