Sunday, February 1, 2015

complaints/ my sister helping me



Dec. 22 Complaints: This is an old complaint from the blog post “mental health/ Tyra Banks show/ friend” in 2012.  I have some things I want to add to it regarding my personal life:

Jul. 3 Dr. Phil: I'm going to throw in Dr. Phil.  I haven't seen this show since 2006.  I quit after the 3rd season.  I have seen 1 ep this year though.  I'm going to give you an example:

In 2006, this mom writes: "My daughter thinks money grows on trees.  How do I teach her hard work?"  So the teen girl goes to this farm and digs manure and farm chores.  She says: "I feel like Paris Hilton in The Simple Life."  Then later she shows to the camera: "I got dirt under my finger nails."  After they aired the video, the audience laughs and so does the girl and her parents.  It was a 20min. segment and the girl learned her lesson.

I thought it was boring.  Then I went on twop.com and someone said: "This girl obviously has a narcissistic personality disorder.  She probably begged her mom to write to Dr. Phil just so she can get on TV."  I immediately got angry.

I guess I was little angry at myself for not being able to see right through her.  After I read that comment, I was like: "Of course she made up this problem to get on TV!  It's not a hard or serious problem to solve.  They all looked they had a good time."  I was angry at the girl for being fake, and her parents for being fake and helping her get on the show.  Also at Dr. Phil for not being able to see she's fake.

Twins: Some episodes later, I was able to apply my "BS detector."  I made that phrase up.  There were these twins women on the show who were in their 40s.  About 5min. in I knew they were fake.  They were laughing and smiling and holding their hands.  They were having fun and looking at the audience to talk and not at Dr. Phil.  At least Dr. Phil could see through them this time.

Dr. Phil: You see what's around me?  The screens says "Dr. Phil" because it's my show.  You guys are looking at the audience and getting reactions from them instead of talking to me.

He didn't really say they were fake.  He was saying that it was his show and helping them with the problem of them being competitive with each other.  If they did have a problem with each other, they wouldn't be laughing and smiling.  They would be arguing and crying.  This is not a dysfunctional relationship at all.  In fact, they look like they got along way better than my siblings and I do!  I say our relationships are okay, but we don't totally have fun like they do.  


My 2014 opinion: I want to say this: I don’t have a problem with the twins.  They are grown women and if they want to go on this show, they can.

Writer’s imagination: My main problem is with the teen girl and her parents for helping her get on the show.  Here’s my writer’s imagination.  This is what probably happened in their home:

Girl: Mom, I want to get on a TV show, specifically the Dr. Phil TV show.
Mom: But you need a problem to get on this show.
Girl: Yeah, how about you write a letter saying that “My daughter thinks that money grows on trees.  How do I teach her about hard work?” 
Mom: How about you write the letter, and I’ll sign it?

If Mom resists, the Girl would have gone to dad and get on her side.  The Girl probably didn’t have to work that hard to get her mom and dad to help her get on the show.

This is what should have happened:

Girl: Mom, I want to get on a TV show, specifically the Dr. Phil TV show.
Mom: But you need a problem to get on this show.
Girl: Yeah, how about you write a letter saying that “My daughter thinks that money grows on trees.  How do I teach her about hard work?” 
Mom: I’m not going to write a letter just so you can get on a TV show.
Girl: How about I write the letter, and you sign it?

Mom: Absolutely not.  This is fake.  You are wasting Dr. Phil’s time on a problem you don’t even have.  If you want to get on the show, you have to write your own letter about a problem you have.  Lots of people write to him about personal problems like “fear of success” and “Being a shopa-holic.”

If the Girl starts begging and annoying her Mom about it, Mom should ground her.  Tell her to clean the garage. 

If the Girl really wants to get on TV, go small like volunteering at a charity like the Food Bank.  Then go on CityTV to talk about it with a TV host to get publicity to donate to the Food Bank.

Her mom is not the one and only person to help her get on TV.  There are other routes.

My sister helping me: This reminds me of the time in 2005 when I wanted to get into the Professional Writing program and I needed her to look at my 3 portfolio writing pieces and edit them.  She refused.

S: When I helped you get into college, you either fail, don’t get in, or quit.  So I’m not going to help you anymore.

S helped me with my Career Investigation reports to get into NAIT.  When I got rejected in the Fall 2005 intakes, she helped me rewrite them and submit them again for the 2006 Winter intake.

Fail: The Graphic Communications program at NAIT.  I didn’t graduate.  I was going to quit mid-way, but my dad told me to stay in it and learn as much as possible.  Then I can put it on my resume that I did a year at college.

Don’t get in:

I didn’t get into Radio and TV program (TV) at NAIT in 2004 Fall intake.  (Without my sister’s help because I didn’t ask.)

Radio and TV program (Radio) at NAIT in 2005 Fall intake.  (With my sister’s help.)

Radio and TV program (Radio) at NAIT in 2006 Winter intake.  (With my sister’s help.)

Radio and TV program (TV) at NAIT in 2005 Fall intake. (Somewhat.  I used the Career Investigation in the Radio Fall intake to get in.)

Radio and TV program (TV) at NAIT in 2006 Winter intake.  (With my sister’s help.)

Quit: I took 3 courses in the Arts and Cultural Management program at MacEwan.  I passed.  It was a one year program.  When I was there, it lead me to Professional Writing.  It wasn’t a total waste, because 2 of the 3 courses I took I could transfer it to my Professional Writing.

I even offered to pay S to compensate her, but she still wouldn’t help me.  I didn’t even start on the whole salary negotiation of: “How about $100 upfront?  After I submit it, you get another $100?”  She was so adamant about it, that I didn’t mention any dollar amounts.

My sister is not the one and only person to help me get into college.  I asked Arts and Cultural Management student Kristy who had an English degree to read over my pieces.  I also got my co-worker Nialle who was in the program to look over it.  I got in.

Math: Now as for my sister tutoring me in math in high school, she is the one and only person to help me.  She is the one who tutored me for hours after school just so I can barely pass Applied Math 20 and Applied Math 30.

She knows that she is the only one to help me.

No comments: