Wednesday, May 13, 2015

No Tax on Tampons/ mean prank/ reunion after 77 years

May 11 No Tax on Tampons: I read about this in the Metro and I signed the petition.  I then put it up on Facebook a few times.  Here's an excerpt:
 
May 9, 2015 — Yesterday was an incredible day. The NDP brought forward a motion calling to remove the tax on menstruation hygiene products in the House of Commons.

The Conservative party and Liberal party announced that they would be supporting the motion!

Half the day was spent debating the GST issue, but more importantly, talking about women and trans people and the broader injustices they face
 
 
 
May 13, 2015 — The motion to remove the discriminatory tax on menstruation products passed 258 to 0!

One by one, every parliamentarian stood up to agree there should be no tax on tampons.
 

May 11 Mean prank: I found this on Yahoo.  It was mean, but then again the teenage girl Autumn took it very well:

A "joke" involving a Cambodian TV channel and a teenage girl who thought she was to be reunited with her mother has backfired.

The Mother's Day prank involved 13-year-old Autumn Allen appearing on MyTV variety show Penh Chet Ort (Like It Or Not) where she was told she was going to meet the mother she had not seen for years.

Viewers heard Autumn say she had not seen her mother since her father brought her back to Cambodia from the US, where her mother remained, the Phnom Penh Post reported.
The girl cried as she recalled: "She held me and kissed me and told me that she would always love me."

Producers then told viewers they were going to make the "dream to meet her mother come true".

The meeting was preceded by a lengthy build up expected to lead to an emotional climax that would satisfy both the teenage girl and the audience.

But, to the shock of Autumn and the viewers, the "mum" she met was cross-dressing comedian and game show judge Chuop Rolin.

"What are you thinking? Did you think it was real?" one of the presenters asked the teenager and singer, who has performed on TV on several occasions.
"I don’t know," Autumn said with a nervous laugh.

Social media users have put the boot into producers, who have been forced to apologise for the cruel stunt.

"Such a brainless and shameful trick from MYTV! How can you play with her feeling like this?" posted Kanika Chhit on Facebook.

Independent political analyst Ou Virak weighed in too.

"The producer was stupid and brainless and heartless by playing around with the mind and heart of a 13-year-old girl in this way," he said on Facebook.

"They lied to this girl that her mother she hasn’t met for a very long time will be reunited on live TV, only to be presented with a cross dressing comedian."

The show has admitted the stunt was a "mistake".

"We produced that programme to make Allen and other people happy," said Penh Chet Ort producer Taboi.

"We wanted to send Allen a message that although she has no mother, our team loves her as family so that we play with her to make her smile," he said.

Autumn herself seemed to take the joke reasonably well, telling the Phnom Penh Post: "On that day I was very excited because I thought [my mother] was actually coming.

"At the moment I was sad that I could not see my real mother, but I had fun doing the show.
"Initially I was disappointed, but Rolin made me laugh so I had fun on the show.

"My dad was very proud of how I handled myself in the situation. He took me to a nice restaurant afterward."

She added: "I tried to contact my mother several times when we moved to Cambodia but she kept changing her phone numbers.

"My dad thinks she lived in Scottsdale, Arizona, but we don’t know for sure. Yes, I miss her and do want to meet her."


My opinion: Yeah, well at least Autumn didn't cry or was upset by it.  I guess I wanted reunions like on talk shows.  I wrote about it before like on Maury, there was a senior woman who gave her baby son up for adoption and they did a maternity test.  She was then reunited with her son.

It was done on Dr. Phil about a 40 yr old woman who gave her baby up for adoption when she was a teenager and was reunited with her 20 yr old daughter. 

I guess with Autumn she got to meet a celebrity.  I remember on Maury, the boy band O-town surprised a 13 yr old girl so that was good.

Punk'd: I have seen way mean pranks than this on the TV show Punk'd.  Ashton Kutcher plays a prank on the actress Jennifer Love Hewitt where she meets a director.  She is going to be in a movie with Brad Pitt.  Hewitt looked so happy and excited about it.  Then the prank turns into how the director was going to get beaten up by these 2 loan sharks.

It looks like Hewitt may get beaten up too because she's there.  Then she gets to leave and Kutcher comes out.  So Hewitt wasn't going to get beaten up, but she was really upset that she wasn't going to be in a movie with Brad Pitt.

There was a mean prank on the actress Shannon Elizabeth.  Her manager tells her there was a sex tape of her and her husband having sex in a hotel room.  There was supposedly a hidden camera in there and it was going to be released.  She cried and was upset about it.

Prince Harry meets school matron: I found this Yahoo news where Prince Harry meets his old school matron Vicki McBratney.  I had to look this up on the internet:

"School matrons are usually based in boarding schools. The job does not involve any medical work or teaching; they are responsible for the health and well-being of the pupils and the smooth running of the domestic side of school life."

Harry hasn't seen her since he was 12 when his mom died.  He gave cupcakes to the audience there.



May 13 Jully Black: I was thinking about the "mean prank" again.  She's a African-Canadian singer and she was on Much Music TV show Much on Demand.  Her mom called in and they talked on air.  Jully was crying because she was so happy. 

So if Autumn from the Cambodian TV show got a call from her mom and/ or the mom was on a big TV screen via Skype, that would have been fine if the mom wasn't there in person.

Here's Jully Black's big song and video "Sweat off your brow":


Reunion after 77 years: I found this video on Yahoo.  It has turned into a book:

"The inspirational true story of how a mother at the age of 16 had to give her baby up for adoption is finally reunited after 77 years! Check out this amazing clip that will bring tears to your eyes.


My opinion: It turns out the mother was gang raped by 2 guys in the woods.  A few months later she found out she was pregnant.  She had the baby for a month and then gave it up for adoption.  It was a very touching story. 

Baby's organs: I found this on Yahoo news where the parents donate their baby's organs after he only lived for 80 min:

"After our sweet boy passed, he was able to donate his liver, pancreas, umbilical cord blood, core blood from his heart, a skin sample and his whole body, all for various research studies. Due to his size and condition he did not qualify to donate for transplant, but we were more than happy to donate to research."

My opinion: That reminds me back in 2002 when I was at the University of Alberta open house and there was a baby's brain donated to research there.  I saw the brain in the jar.

 
Pole Fitness Saved My Life: I found this on Yahoo news video:
by Barcroft TV 4:00 mins

 

A woman at rock bottom has told how her life was saved – by pole dancing. Depressed Kerry Derham cut her wrists after crippling debts and a volatile relationship destroyed her self-esteem. The 31-year-old was so overweight and miserable that she couldn’t bear to look at herself in the mirror.

Pole Fitness Saved My Life | Barcroft TV - Yahoo Screen

 
My opinion: I saw the video and it was very inspirational.  She was depressed and overweight, and took up pole dancing as a new hobby to lift her spirits.  She had a lot of fun and started losing weight.  Good for her.

Wheel of Fortune: This 40- something yr old woman kept winning all these prizes on the wheel like 1/2 car, and then another 1/2 car, a trip to Italy, and in total $32,000.

No comments: